Sunday 18 November 2012

Time flies

So we have been here, or at least I have, for 3 months now.  It's crazy the time has gone so fast.  We have had some ups and downs of course and I thought I'd share some.  They say that some of the things in your life that can cause stress are
+Moving house
+Changing jobs

We didn't just move house we also moved countries didn't have a place to live locked in and lived in 1 place for a week, then another for 2 months then finally to here.  So 3 moves.
I have started 5 jobs altogether.  1st one was the Drama teaching which I was excited about but of course nervous about as well.  I do that Saturday mornings from 9.30 - 12.  2nd job was the English teaching job at the airport area.  3 mornings a week but it wasn't reliable and finally it finished 2 weeks ago.  3rd job was with a HR company teaching English for the staff, been there 3 times now, getting more comfortable and it's ongoing 2 afternoons a week.  4th job was a private tutoring job, the student was a Dr who was going to do the IELTS test and needed speaking practice, test tomorrow so he's all done.  5th job I start tomorrow 8 hours a week.  It's at the Caravelle Hotel, only the best known hotel in town so NO PRESSURE.  I will be teaching the staff English and they are studying for a TEOIC test.  They can lose their jobs if they are successful!

So that's jobs but then there are the usual ups and downs of change and we know the deal with this because of all of the exchange students we have had.  We know that you have culture shock, spent 1 day just crying.  I know that at around 6 weeks there is a down time, had a sad day a bit ago, not as bad as the culture shock day.  Then there is the last one at around now, have been a bit sad and feeling like my life is hard, it's hard work to start these jobs, can't I just hide inside my apartment that is safe and nice?  NO I have to move forward...still working on that.  I have just found that you have to be strong and keep working on your life here.
I now know where it buy bread and milk in my area.  I found a hairdresser and a nail place.  People say hello and are starting to remember us.  We have some friends to share our time with. Things are settling, I wouldn't say it's all been easy but if I remember what I have told the exchange students over and over, just give it time....that's what I need to do.

Phil just added HTFU....supportive as usual???? :)

          Elizabeth and Vicki, 2 American girls and that are part of the road forward...friends.  Went out for Roast dinner last Sunday night.
New friends, Izzy (just arrived from Melbourne volunteering for 1 yr) Thuy works at RMIT University with Phil...brunch this morning at a crepe restaurant with a view of the park.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Leanne and Phil,
    We check your post each week and like to read the updates. We lived in Fiji for 4 years and remember some of these emotions, especially around speacial times like Christmas.
    Funny to read that you are giving yourself "pep talks" that you must had used numerous times on your exchange kids. Soph still in Japan..training as a goat herder.

    ReplyDelete