Sunday 2 December 2012

Almost got me!

So it HAD to happen sometime....bag snatchers tried to grab my bag.  We have had warnings through RMIT that people need to repay their debts before TET, the new year over here.  In order to do that they may need to steal...doesn't seem like it would sit right with the Gods but anyway there it is.

Phil and I were walking back from dinner last night and we were in our busy street in an area where there is no more than a few inches to walk on the footpath between motor bikes and shop displays and people etc.  Anyway there was a motor bike in front of me with 2 guys on it, and I was trying to walk around it, I was at his front mud guard and the bike took off.  The guy on the back reached out and yanked at my bag.  It is an over the body style bag with a thick strap so he couldn't get it off me and they drove away. We were a bit shaken but ok and continued on our way home which was only 1 block away.

We proceeded to cross the road, which is a crazy busy one where you walk slowly dodging bikes as you go.  Phil was on high alert as he remembered that it is common for the offenders to turn around and give it a second try, he was on my left.  He was right!  (like always apparently???)  They came for us again in the middle of the road.  As they came Phil saw the guys arm go out and he lifted his left arm out and bashed the guys arm away from me, I felt it clip the edge of my glasses as he went.

So that was it!  We are still a bit shell shocked that it happened, even though we have been told loads of stories of other peoples misfortunes, much worse than our story.  I lady got knocked over at 11am in the city centre and had her bag snatched.  She damaged her hip and is still on crutches weeks later.

We were lucky but feel a little less trusting now which is sad.  We will still keep ourselves on alert and do all the things that are recommended to keep ourselves and our belongings safe but it is a very poor country and there are many people worse off than us so it may happen again.  Hopefully we will be prepared.

No comments:

Post a Comment